DEFIBRILLATOR performance art gallery is proud to present AIR POCKET PROJECT, a series of five inflatable performance installations taking place at WICKER PARK FEST on SATURDAY & SUNDAY JULY 28 & 29 from noon to 8pm on N MILWAUKEE AVE north of N WOOD ST CHICAGO IL 60622. there is a $5 donation to enter the festival. please visit wickerparkfest.com or airpockets.org for more information.
made possible by a grant from the WICKER PARK / BUCKTOWN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE and co-curated by CHRISTIAN CRUZ and JOSEPH RAVENS of DEFIBRILLATOR performance art gallery, AIR POCKET PROJECT aims to embrace that nostalgic connection we all have with inflatable objects. hybrids of kinetic sculpture and performance art, the five works include duration, technology, dance, social criticism, risk, beauty, and humor.
- CLAIRE ASHLEY inhabits the liminal space between painting, sculpture, and performance. using abstraction, minimalism, and pop, her project, DOUBLE DISCO is a dance within twin wearable inflatable sculptures. the performers are blinded by the sculpture yet they attempt to dance in unison. DOUBLE DISCO will be performed every hour on the hour. alternating dancers: PETE and DYL / CHRIS KNOWLTON and BLAKE RUSSELL. www.claireashley.com
- HIDEOUS BEAST is a collaboration between two artists, JOSH IPPEL and CHARLIE RODERICK. through structured participatory events they attempt to encourage cultural activity outside the bounds of mainstream entertainment. for their project, RELATIVELY INFLATED I, they fly a camera overhead with helium balloons and participants put on goggles so they may see themselves from above. www.hideousbeast.com
- MARIANNE M. KIM is a KOREAN AMERICAN artist and educator working in performance, public art, and multimedia installation. her project, SECURITY SYSTEM 6.0, is a scaled down version of the original work dealing with issues of fear and imagined safety. alternating performers: AMBER LEE and JOHN BURKHOLDER / CHRISTIAN CRUZ and ADAM ROSE. www.mariannekim.com
- HEERAN LEE creates performative sculpture, solo body-based installations, time-based durational performances, and sculptural endurance events. her minimalist project, BLOW IT, involves inflating an enormous weather balloon by performer, NATALIA NICHOLSON. www.heeranlee.com
- JAKE MYERS has a playful aesthetic and makes art about the future, contemporary mythological creatures, and sports. his project, SHORT COURT: TIGHT END, is an audience participatory inflatable miniature football game. www.bodybyjakehead.com