WE ARE NOW SCHEDULING INTERVIEWS FOR SPRING 2017 SESSION!
DFBRL8R APPRENTICE PROGRAM is structured mentorship in exchange for service at Defibrillator Gallery. This program is designed to provide practical knowledge and skills outside an institutional construct, though it is possible to receive credit at a school or university. Apprentices must commit to a specific period of time, preferably within the following framework:
- AUTUMN. September > December
- SPRING. February > June | Includes Rapid Pulse International Performance Art Festival
- SUMMER. July > August
In exchange for practical experience, insight, and skills surrounding the unique medium of Performance Art, DFBRL8R Apprentices aid in production, maintenance, and administration required to sustain our non-profit organization. Apprentices may have an area of focus but must occasionally perform other tasks or roles, lending support where it is most needed.
DFBRL8R Apprentices are needed mostly on weekends, our exhibitions are usually on Saturday evenings at 7PM (though this varies widely). We often install on Friday evenings, or earlier in the week. Administration and maintenance happen throughout the week. Workload and hours vary widely based on the scale or nature of the work being presented. Apprentices must attend sunday discussion groups once or twice a month on Sunday mornings from 10-1PM (Mop Talks).
Advantages to becoming a DFBRL8R APPRENTICE
- FEEDBACK SESSIONS. Joseph Ravens responds to your current work or portfolio, one-on-one.
- STUDIO TIME. Access to unused time at the gallery for artistic development.
- MOP TALKS. These sessions take place once or twice a month on Sunday mornings from 10-1PM, following a performance. Inverting hierarchy, Joseph Ravens cleans the gallery while apprentices sit and watch. The group will engage in conversations ranging from the prior evening’s work to analysis of a particular genre or idea. These visits may include virtual interviews/conversations with guests, along with other advice and information about arts administration and professional development within the realm of Performance Art.
- PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES. Accomplished apprentices present work in the annual showcase, Vim and Vigor. Occasionally, other opportunities present themselves.
- MEETING ARTISTS. Gain valuable insight into how artists from around the world work and live. Make meaningful and valuable connections with artists, organizations, and communities.
- MEALS. Work sessions lasting six hours or longer include a simple meal. Snacks, coffee, tea, etc. are always available during work sessions.
- DISCOUNTS. Workshop rates for apprentices are often discounted or waived.
- LEADERSHIP. Outstanding SPRING apprentices take on leadership roles in Rapid Pulse Festival.
- ALUMNUS. Student rates, discounts, and access to VIP events for life, upon request. Website listing on the DFBRL8R Apprenticeship Alumnus roster.
APPLY by completing the form below or follow THIS LINK. Email questions to GetInvolved@DFBRL8R.org.
DEADLINES are as follows:
- SPRING: February 1st
- SUMMER: July 1st
- AUTUMN: September 10th
Image credit: Heeran Lee, Rapid Pulse 2016, photo by Natalia Nicholson